Saturday, May 6, 2023

REPLY TO A COMMENT ON 25 APRIL 2015 COLUMN "DINOSAURS IN ROCK ART - PERU'S ICA STONES":


Photograph of Ica Stone illustrating a Triceratops with back fins - a fabrication. Internet photograph, public domain.

On May 1, 2023, I receibed a new comment from Anonymous to my posting of 25 April 2015 about the Ica Stones hoax in Peru. I am sorry I cannot credit you with this query, but comments come to me Anonymously with no return address.  


Photograph of an Ica Stone showing Stegosaurus in the upper right. Internet photograph, public domain.

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post DINOSAURS IN ROCK ART - PERU'S ICA STONES: "My problem with this finding that we never existed at the same time is this, how did they know in the 1930s that this animal had fins on its back when we just found out in 2019 when we found a fossil of one? If it was a fake they would have never put fins on it, they would have gone with the excepted (accepted?) narrative of the time which said there was none." 

Well Anonymous, I thank you for your comment and the opportunity to address it. There were two so-called dinosaurs with plates or fins on their backs in the illustrations that accompanied my column, one appeared to be a Stegosaurus and the other an obvious Triceratops. Now the Triceratops never had fins on their backs so that one is an obvious fabrication (lie).

Skeleton of stegosaurus. Photograph by Susannah Maidment
 et al., Natural History Museum, London. 

As to Stegosaurus, I actually live just a few miles from where the first one was discovered by Arthur Lakes in the Morrison formation west of Denver in 1850.             


1891 drawing of stegosaurus skeleton by Othniel Charles Marsh. U.S. Geological Survey, 16th Annual Report. 

Although researchers originally thought the plates (fins) on the back lay flat like the scutes on a turtle, by 1891 Othniel Charles Marsh had published his drawing of a stegosaurus with the plates vertical. So, by 1891 we already knew the proper conformation of the stegosaurus' plates. 

I do not know where you got your date of 2019 for when the first fossil of a stegosaurus was discovered, but I submit that you have been misled. I refer you to Wikipedia for a detailed history of the knowledge of Stegosaurus skeletons, and thank you for your comment.  


No comments:

Post a Comment